Saturday, June 2, 2012

Visit From Grandma and Grandpa

Has it really been a week since I've been on here?! Whew! What a week it has been!

First off, my parents flew in on Saturday afternoon and we picked them up in the RV. Then we took off for the Grand Canyon. We left our house at approximately 115-130 and didn't arrive at the GC until after midnight. The word tired would not even describe what we were. Not to mention, it was frigid cold at just 38 degrees!

Early the next morning (too early), we woke up, made and ate breakfast, then got ready for our day at the Canyon. I think we finally left the campground and got on the shuttle around 11.

The Canyon was beautiful, majestic, amazing, huge, colorful, etc etc. There's so many words you can use to describe its beauty. We ended hopping on another shuttle that took us to the Train Depot and El Tovar Hotel. We saw more amazing views and even got to watch the train depart from the station!

After being at the Canyon for five hours, we were wiped out. The kids were quite the troopers. They walked all day, had no naps, and never complained! We took the shuttle back to the RV park and made dinner. Right after dinner, we ended up seeing two elk running around the campground! They were on the other side of a fence, so the kids and I crept up to within 50 yards of them and I was able to get some great shots of the two.

Monday morning, we were off to my mom's aunt's house just north of Phoenix where we stayed for the night. We ended up finding a hole-in-the-wall Flinstones camp and restaurant that we of course, had to check out. They had a whole Flinstones Bedrock village in the back! We had a blast and the funniest part was the kids finding an old golf cart that was made to look like a Flinstones era car. Gabe touched the gas pedal to see if it would work, and it did! There were no workers around so Gabe and the kids took it for a spin. I just about died laughing at them. The kids loved it!

The next morning, we headed home right after breakfast because the kids had swim class at 330 and then Gabe, Alena, and I had piano lessons at 630. AHH! Tired would be an understatement of how we were all feeling.

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were fairly relaxed. I took my parents to the Copper Queen Mine and took the tour there. Of course, I forgot my camera and didn't get a single shot of it! oooh, I could just kick myself for that! The mine was a freezing 47 degrees and our tour guide had actually worked in the mine until it was closed down.

Well, that's our week. I tried to keep it short for you guys. The kids were sad to see Grandma and Grandpa go. Christian was hugging them and saying "Don't go! Don't go!".  :*( 

Grandpa's got the chicken nuggets!

Alena and Grandma on the Ipad.

Add caption

On the road again...


The picture doesn't do it justice.

Here we all are!


The Colorado River at the base of the Canyon.

Doorknob of the Train Depot.

The coolest bike EVER!

aww, they're kissing!

Metal slide on a 95 degree day = not a good idea!

A walk-thru snake.

The cart Gabe and the kids took for a spin.

My Great Aunt's restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! I love hearing from you!