You're going to need...
- About two pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I used pre minced garlic from a jar (see pic below) and just threw in a bunch.)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (again, I just threw in the amount I wanted)
- 1/4 cup apple juice (you could substitute with white grape juice if you don't have apple)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch (use if you want thicker sauce)
As you can tell, I don't do a lot of measuring when it comes to seasonings. Liquids I do, but I like to add the amount I think would be good. Doing that, will give you a different flavor every time you make it. :)
- First, you cube the chicken into small chunks.
- Heat oil in pan and cook chicken until lightly browned.
- Take out the chicken and add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until dissolved.
|mmm, such a good sauce!|
- Next, add the chicken to the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. (I discovered that simmering it for an hour increases the flavor and intensity. Also, it made it slightly spicier. Much better simmering for longer!)
- Serve with white rice.
OMGosh ya'll, this stuff is AMAZING! If it were up to me, I would make this at least once a week. It has the perfect amount of sweet and spicy.
I'd love to hear if any of you make it, and what you thought.